Knowledgeable Champaign Divorce Attorney Provides Guidance and Advice
Illinois divorce law firm helps with alimony, child custody, property division and more
Divorce is never easy, even when both partners agree that it’s the right decision. The dissolution of a marriage involves crucial decisions about how your shared property will be divided and how your children will be cared for. At Rogers Law Office, my goal is to help clients in the Champaign area and throughout Illinois get through their divorces without added stress or difficulty. My knowledge of Illinois laws and practices enables me to provide advice on all aspects of divorce, and to address any questions or concerns you may have.
What are the grounds for divorce in Illinois?
Illinois is a no-fault state, so you need only assert that your marriage is irretrievably broken to obtain a divorce, also known as dissolution. Although you can allege traditional grounds, such as adultery, cruelty or abandonment, the court does not consider grounds when deciding on spousal support or property division, so the allegations will have no impact on your case.
Protecting your rights during the divorce process
The course that your divorce takes depends on your circumstances and your choices of how to proceed. Most couples will first try to work out a settlement of key issues and concerns rather than letting a judge decide the terms of their divorce. This is typically done through negotiation with the aid of counsel.
Another option is mediation, which gives you and your spouse the opportunity to resolved disputes in a structured setting through a trained facilitator. This process fosters cooperation and often reduces the time and cost of divorce. Once you’ve reached a settlement, you can present your agreement to the court for approval and be granted an uncontested divorce. However, if litigation is necessary to reach just and equitable resolutions to, I am prepared to advocate on your behalf in court in pursuit of the most favorable outcome.
Committed advocate strives for fair resolutions to all divorce issues
At Rogers Law Office, I will work to develop the best possible solutions for all aspects of your divorce, which may include:
- Child custody — Court orders determine where your child will live, how parenting time will be split and to what degree each parent gets to make decisions about their child’s life. I will work to ensure your parental rights are protected while advocating for your children’s welfare.
- Child support — A number of factors are used to calculate child support payments, from each parent’s income to each child’s particular needs.
- Distribution of property — The division of your home and other assets often depends on whether property is owned by a couple or by just one spouse.
- Division of marital debts — Both spouses may be accountable for debts accrued by the couple, or one partner may be found to be more responsible.
- Spousal support and temporary support — Whether you seek spousal support, also known as alimony, on a permanent or temporary basis, or must pay it, I will seek a fair determination so that divorce doesn’t leave you financially strapped.
With commitment and conviction, I argue for fair arrangements, always keeping in mind your best interests and those of your children.
Skilled management of complex divorce matters
Although parties for divorce hope for a simple, expedited process, there are several issues that can complicate matters, such as:
- High net-worth property division — The equitable distribution of assets and debt can be very complicated when couples have real estate, fine art, jewelry, luxury vehicles, stock portfolios, retirement savings and other valuable holdings. The process becomes especially contentious when spouses try to hide assets from each other.
- Complex parenting plans — Special attention is required to resolve parenting disputes involving two-career couples with demanding schedules, custodial parents who want to relocate or parents with divergent views of how their children should be raised.
- Same-sex divorce issues — In virtually every aspect, same-sex divorce is no different than opposite-sex divorce. However, spouses who are not natural or adoptive parents of children in their household can have a hard time gaining child custody or visitation rights.
- Small business issues —Valuation and division of an ongoing business are thorny issues, especially when spouses claim equity in a company the other started but don’t have a written agreement to support their claim.
With all such issues, you can rely on my experience and capacity for creative problem solving to make sure that your interests are fully protected in the outcome achieved.
Contact a skilled Illinois divorce attorney serving Champaign and vicinity
Rogers Law Office in Champaign, Illinois provides skilled and determined divorce representation. Please call 217-318-0677 or contact me online to schedule a confidential consultation.